Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without Christmas cookies! ⛄ Fortunately, we have a pretty substantial excuse to bake as practitioners, educators and parents! Baking with children acquires a significant amount of benefits for our little ones; it improves bilateral coordination, introduces scientific concepts, boosts reading and social skills, encourages planning skills, exercises spatial awareness, initiates basic life skills, and most importantly, it promotes essential bonding time between the child and the parent/practitioner. SO, with that all being said and given that it is the holiday season, we decided it would only be necessary to bring you a much-needed Christmas Cookie Recipe that easily – we use that word lightly – can be carried out with the little ones! This recipe is an Italian Lemon Cookie Recipe that will satiate you and everyone else that you may decide to share with – remember, sharing is caring!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup room temperature unsalted butter (we used Stork)
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (roughly 1-2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoons lemon zest (roughly 1 lemon)
- 1/3 cup milk (or any milk alternatives you prefer)
- Parchment paper
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter (we used Stork)
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk (or any milk alternatives you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (roughly ½ lemon)
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest (roughly ½ lemon)
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius
- Combine baking powder, all-purpose flour, and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside for now!
- In a different mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat together until the colour is pale and the consistency is fluffy.
- Combine the egg and vanilla into the butter and sugar mixture. Beat together until the consistency is smooth and then add the lemon and lemon zest and continue to mix until fully combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture you had set aside into the mixture you have just combined, and fully mix. Add milk and remainder of flour mixture, developing a sticky and thick cookie dough.
- Use a spoon to scoop approximately 1 heaped tablespoon of batter onto parchment paper.
- Bake your cookies for 11-13 minutes – or until the bottom is a light golden brown!
- Remove from the oven carefully and transfer the cookies to an oven rack to prepare for the cookie icing!
- In a mixing bowl, fully beat together all the cookie icing’s ingredients until a smooth glaze is developed. (it turns out much more aesthetic than the picture on the right we promise!)
- Use a tablespoon to transfer the icing to the cookies and spread all over each cookie.
- Let the icing sit on the cookies for approximately 15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container if there are leftovers.
Happy Holidays and we hope you enjoy! 🎄 Let us know how it is on Twitter/Instagram: @ssedservices
This recipe is from a lovely lady named July, we highly recommend her website www.breadboozebacon.com for more recipes!